Traditional dating methods have slowly and continuously lost their appeal to younger people. For many of today’s millennials, speed dating and blind dates are now over and done. The popularity of online dating sites has sidelined many activities once considered part of dating and courtship.
Apart from online dating sites, mobile dating phone applications also contribute to the steep decline of traditional matchmaking activities. The sense of privacy and convenience have made these online and mobile dating activities far more popular and accessible to many people from the older to the younger generations.
What about you? Are you ready to find “the one” through online matchmaking? Before you try one of the things that were mentioned above, it might be essential for you to know the advantages and disadvantages of engaging in online dating.
The Online Dating Scene: Pros and Cons
For many people, the growing popularity of online dating sites and phone applications has substantially provided them convenience. Here are some of the advantages of engaging in online dating instead of the traditional one:
- The world of Internet dating has developed rapidly – Many couples have stood the test of time and given proof that online dating can lead to a serious relationship;
- You can meet almost everyone in just a click – Gone are the days when you are getting stressed out with what dress or suit to wear during a blind date session. The days of speed dating where you are unable to know your date have also passed. Thanks to online matchmaking, you can now meet dozens of women while sitting at home; and,
- Safer and more privacy – online dating sites can help you weed out individuals right on the spot. You can also hide behind a wall of privacy that can prevent stalking and other possible crimes.
The Cons of Online Dating
Despite the good things mentioned above, there are still numerous disadvantages to engaging with online matchmaking. Some of those issues are the following:
- The possibility of getting victimized with cybercrimes – although many sites employ security measures, there is still a chance your identity or financial details might be hacked and stolen;
- The use of dating apps can be related to isolation and depression – there’s been a study that links loneliness and the excessive use of online dating sites;
- “Cat-fishing” – another form of identity fraud that makes use of stolen information or a fake profile, which aims to either commit crime or trick another user; and,
- Far more expensive than traditional dating – many applications and online dating sites require payment through either your credit card or bank transfer for you to utilize their full services.
To Use Online Dating Sites or Not?
Given the pros and cons, the usage of modern dating methods gives more opportunities to anyone who wants to meet new people and make friends. However, make sure you have limitations when using a dating app. As much as possible, don’t provide any confidential information.
You always have an option of whether to use dating sites or go for traditional dating approaches. Whatever the decision is, the most important thing is to enjoy the journey. Additionally, when using a dating app–look for reputable matchmaking companies that have good reviews in many online forums. You can also ask your friends about their experience using the app before you decide to join the dating game online.