The environment is one of the most important aspects of people’s health. The air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat are all essential to our well-being. According to the World Health Organization, “More than two-thirds of the world’s population currently lives in areas where ambient air pollution exceeds WHO guideline levels.” In addition, “poor water quality and lack of sanitation cause around 1.8 million deaths yearly” due to contaminated water and inadequate hygiene. And finally, “unsafe food kills an estimated 420 000 people every year, most of them children.”
These statistics make it clear that the environment is a critical factor in people’s health. The air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat all play a role in our well-being. We must ensure that our environment is healthy and safe for our families. The home is a great place to start.
You can do many things to make your home healthier for your family. Here are a few you should apply to create a healthy environment.
Cleaning and Decluttering
Homeowners should clean and declutter their homes to improve their quality of life. There are many reasons why homeowners should clean and declutter their homes regularly. Some of the benefits include:
- Improved air quality – When surfaces are cluttered, it becomes difficult for air to circulate correctly. It can lead to an increased amount of dust in the air and the number of allergens. Cleaning and decluttering can help improve air circulation and reduce allergens.
- Reduced stress levels – Clutter can be stressful to look at and handle. It can constantly remind you that you have too much stuff or are not organized. Clearing out clutter can help reduce stress levels in the home.
- Improved mental clarity – Too much stuff can be distracting and overwhelming. It can be hard to focus on anything when your environment is cluttered. Decluttering can help improve mental clarity and focus.
- More storage space – When everything gets neatly organized, it’s easier to find what you need when you need it. This means less time spent searching for things, which leaves more time for other activities. Decluttering can also create more storage space in your home.
- Enhanced curb appeal – First impressions are essential, and your home’s curb appeal is the first thing potential buyers will see. A decluttered and well-organized home will make a better impression on buyers than a cluttered one.
Dust can accumulate quickly in any home, especially if there are pets or children. Regular cleaning can help remove these contaminants and improve the air quality in your home.
There are many ways to clean your home, but some methods are more effective than others. For example, vacuuming with a HEPA filter can help remove allergens, dust, and dirt from your floors and furniture. Dusting with a damp cloth can also help remove contaminants from surfaces.
Proper ventilation is essential for making a home healthy. Stale air can cause respiratory problems, and contaminants such as mold, dust, and pet dander can aggravate allergies. Ventilation helps to remove these contaminants from home and replace them with fresh air.
There are many ways to improve ventilation in your home. One way is to install an exhaust fan in your bathroom. This will help remove moisture from the bathroom and prevent mold growth. You can also install a carbon monoxide detector to ensure that the air in your home is safe to breathe.
It is also important to open windows regularly to allow fresh air into the home. This is especially important in the winter when the windows are closed for most of the day. Opening windows allows heated air to escape and fresh air to enter. It is also an excellent way to eliminate stale air and pollutants.
Your air conditioner will also be critical to ensuring that your home has proper ventilation. An air conditioner that is too small will not be able to circulate air in your home correctly. This can lead to stagnant air and an increase in pollutants. Fortunately, you can get a small portable AC unit rental to help you ventilate your home until you can invest in a permanent one. Health should never get delayed, making it necessary to act immediately.
Indoor plants can also help improve the air quality in your home. Plants absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen, which can help purify the air in your home. They can also help remove other contaminants such as mold, dust, and bacteria. The benefits of indoor plants will be eonugh to make the investment worth it.
Many different types of plants can improve air quality. Some of the best options include:
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is an excellent plant for filtering out formaldehyde and benzene. It is also easy to care for and does not require a lot of sunlight.
- Bamboo palm – Bamboo palms are great for removing toxins such as formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene from the air. They are also straightforward to care for and can thrive in low-light conditions.
- Spider plant – Spider plants are excellent at absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen. They are also easy to care for and can tolerate low light levels.
There are many different aspects to consider when making your home healthy. From decluttering to increasing ventilation, there are many ways to improve the air quality and overall health of your home. By taking these steps, you can create a safe and healthy environment for your family.