Flank steak, like skirt steak can be a tricky piece of meat to work with on the grill. Cooked wrong it can get very tough, very quickly. Here we marinated the steak overnight in spice and papaya which tenderized the meat nicely. A quick sear on the grill and the juicy, tender and very flavorful beef was served with grilled corn with cilantro lime butter and a coconut curry jicama and beet slaw. Amazing!
- 1 Papaya, peeled and seeds removed , rough chop
- ½ bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 onion, rough chop
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ Tbs Chili powder
- 1 chili pepper, split lengthwise and seeds left in
- 1 Tbs honey
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
Combine all ingredients into a large Ziploc bag. Add the meat and marinate at least four hours, preferably overnight.